Pre-flight (2008)

Pre-flight (2008)

Sunday 19 September 2010

Consolidating Summer


At first I was wondering where has the summer gone? - I was feeling guilty of neglecting my blog, until I sat down and gathered all the inspirational material that I have accrued in my summer travels.

Some lovely Norfolk coast trips had me rekindling the joy of sand, fascinated by the ephemeral rills carved by ebbing tide streams. Watching them, I added more water to fluid ink drawings. (as above)


Mid-August, my friend Laurie and I flew off to Barcelona to soak up the bright colours of Gaudi's infamous city. Many 'fragment' photographs I took on this trip have since found their way to my studio, where they fit quite strikingly amongst the geometry works.


As an Art-tourist in Barcelona, I took the time to rediscover the early works of Picasso, Miro, and Antoni Tapies. I was compelled by Tapies early ink drawings, and by the tenderness in some of Picasso's pencil drawings. Perusing Parc Mountjuic outside the Fundació Joan Miró, I was inspired by some of the less well known architecture of the city while I contemplated the geometrical elements in Miro's work.


I have just turned 30 and celebrated by attending a retreat with Chris James on the healing power of sound. It has prompted me to reconsider my studio work with a greater awareness of heart-centred expression. The studio sculptures not ready to show yet, but as a preview here is a recent sketchbook drawing from a series in sepia.


No comments:

Post a Comment